Wednesday, February 4, 2009

27 January, 2009

> I'm heading to my last ville. I'm being sent to
> Lormont, which is part of Bordeaux. I'll be with Elder
> Monson from Texas, we know each other quite well, we were in
> the little district in Periguex together for three
> transfers. He is a diligent/obedient/hard working elder.
> I'm excited. This transfer will be nine weeks instead of
> the standard six due to new scheduling requests by Pres.
> Carter to align our mission with other French Speaking
> Missions and the MTC.
> On Saturday the 24, January was all about wind! A
> tempest came through the southwest of France and northern
> parts of Spain. It was an incredible force of wind. Winds
> were about 60 mph with gusts above 90 mph, there were a lot
> of gusts. The city was on Red Alert, which basically means
> don't go outside, but we were out - and it was strong.
> I think at times I could have seriously flown. The
> aftermath was like after tornado, it was crazy.
> Hundred's of trees were completely uprooted, not little
> trees but enormous trees with large root systems that were
> old, went down. Many trees snapped at the bottom. Some
> fell on apartment buildings, or houses, or the streets, and
> the power lines. Some of the smaller surrounding cities
> were without electricity, heating and some without water.
> There was debris all over. Many signs had been blown away,
> fences flattened, street signs that were cemented came up,
> others snapped. Some bus stops had glass panels
> blown out. Absolutely no buses or trains were working.
> Trains were closed until Monday. It was quite an
> experience, they haven't had any winds close to that
> since 1999.
> It's weird to be leaving Toulouse, I've truly
> loved it, especially the ward I was in. Last night we did
> FHE with my favorite family in the ward which would be the
> first family I met and the last I'll see. It's hard
> to think how close the end is, I try not to think about it,
> but it does pop up.
> I hope all is well with everyone.
> Thanks for everything.
> Love,
> Elder Marsala

No comments: